The final

The football team ends its rough season, 2-8, after many obstacles

Julia Becker

Seniors reflect after a loss to Howell earlier in their 2-8 season.

Daniel Tedder, Staff Reporter

Last Saturday, the football team was bowled over by the second ranked team in the state, Hazelwood Central, by a score of 65-0.

This marked the eighth loss of the season, and also an end to the football team’s season, with only two victories against Troy and Fox.

In a roller coaster ride of a season, the football team went through more difficulties in two weeks than most teams go through in a year. In the span of 14 days, the football team had four different head coaches.

After the suspension of Coach Todd Berck, Coach Jim Greco took over the position for a game. During his one game tenure as a head coach, Coach Greco was questionably suspended during a game against Fort Zumwalt West, which unfortunately, prevented him from coaching against Francis Howell as well. The vacancy was soon filled by former freshman coach, Donald Lober, however, the change did not take effect until after the Howell game. Filling the position the last home game of the season, was offensive coach, Larry McDevitt.

For the players, this was a tough season, but for the seniors, this was especially a hard way to end their high school football careers, according to senior captain and quarterback, Frank Davis.

“A lot of us were sad because we have been waiting since seventh grade,” Davis said. “As soon as the seniors got to be coached by [Berck], he got fired.”

As the end of the fall season is upon us, the largest sport in fall has also concluded. With many lows and not as many highs, the football team looks towards the future. No one knows what the future holds, as many starters will have left for college by the time the next football season begins, but one thing is certain. If next year, the football team goes through the same trials they went through this year, the team will have its hands full.