TSA opens path to possible technology careers

Technology Student Association now accepting students not enrolled in Project Lead The Way classes

TSA+sponsor+Donald+Barnes+holds+up+a+3D+printed+object+created+in+one+of+his+classes.+Students+in+Mr.+Barnes+third+hour+were+sketching+what+they+saw+in+their+notebooks+to+match+the+model.+

TSA sponsor Donald Barnes holds up a 3D printed object created in one of his classes. Students in Mr. Barnes’ third hour were sketching what they saw in their notebooks to match the model.

A group of 25 to 35 students, meeting on Wednesday afternoons, TSA is a club catering to students who have an interest in technology.

TSA- the Technology Student Association- provides students with the opportunity to compete in engineering or technology-related competitions. Helping also to develop leadership skills, anyone is welcome to join the club.

According to teacher Donald Barnes, sponsor of TSA, this is the first year the club is accepting students who are not enrolled in one of the Project Lead The Way (PLTW) courses, which thus allows more students to join.

“Any student who has interest in design, video-game programming, desktop publishing, animation, bio-med, anything related to technology- they are now allowed to join TSA,” Barnes said.

Senior Ryan Eilers, president of TSA, agrees with Barnes in that there is a plenty of opportunities for students who participate.

“We build small robots, design solutions, code- if you’re a writer, you can even write stories and essays,” Eilers said. “Honestly, the list goes on and on.”

Senior Luke Gaglio, who manages TSA along with Eilers as vice president, adds joining TSA has future benefits for students who participate in technology competitions or in other aspects of this club.

“When you join TSA, it looks good on college applications,”  Gaglio said. “You learn to work better in groups, while also gaining leadership skills.”

TSA- an entirely student-led group- presents an array of opportunities and promotes growth in the fields of technology even before a student starts his or her career. To join TSA, just attend meetings every Wednesday after school in room 13.