Second round for athletic hall of fame announced

The 2012 inductees to the Francis Howell Central Athletic Hall of Fame were announced Wednesday after a panel of 14 current and former Howell Central high school coaches, teachers, and administrators voted from a list of 11 finalists.

The first inductee, Jeremy Cowan, was all-state in both soccer and baseball, during Central’s first two years of participation in varsity athletics, while the second inductee, Shakara Jones, was all-state in basketball all four years of her high school career.

“These are two of the top athletes that have come through the doors of Francis Howell Central in its 11 years, and they definitely stuck out the most when it came time to vote,” said Mr. Scott Harris.

Both athletes have also gone on to successful sports careers outside of high school; Jones is currently playing professional basketball for Asteras Exarheion in Athens, Greece, and Cowan finished top 25 nationally in hitting his junior and senior years at Fontbonne for baseball.

The induction ceremony itself — led by Mr. Harris — will be held Friday, Jan. 6 in between the girls and guys basketball games that evening. Last year’s inaugural inductees — David Guntorius, Kellie Schulte, and Justin Fuehrmeyer — are all expected to be in attendance along with school board president, Mike Sommer and principal Sonny Arnel.

“Setting up an athletic hall of fame was one of the first things I wanted to do when I got here, I was aware of the deeply held tradition for sports at Central and I wanted to set something up to honor that,” said Harris.