Alumni match to three

Gracie Kruep, Staff Photographer

In a battle of the ages, 2012 volleyball State Champions took on the 2017 varsity boys squad in a match on May 5. The 2012 squad was initially supposed to just show up and support the current players in a match against Marquette High School, but after the recent flooding, the opposing team was not able to show up. So, in an effort to not cancel the game and senior night, Coach Scott Harris and Coach Mark McAfee asked the alumni to participate in a battle of old versus new in an alumni game.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

Among those alumni was current varsity player, Conner McAfee’s older brother and Coach McAfee’s eldest son, Chase.

“It was great playing against my brother and having my dad  coach us,” Conner said. “After the game my dad came up to me and told me that it was really cool to see me and him play each other. It’s a memory I’ll cherish forever. Playing against him was a blast and I’ve never wanted to play anyone more than I’ve wanted to play him. Chase and my dad together taught me so much about volleyball and they are one of the main reasons I play.”
The 2017 varsity squad ended up beating the 2012 State champions in 3 very close sets, and ended the night honoring the seniors with the boys volleyball senior night.