Tennis comes out victorious

On Monday, the Spartans took the court at home vying to come out victorious over the Knights from Francis Howell North, but the Spartans fell short in all six varsity matches. Senior and number one singles player Sean Nanney did, however, win one of his sets, forcing a third set before losing the match.

“He won the first set, 1-6. I won my second set, 7-5, and he won the tiebreaker 4-10,” Nanney said.

Other Spartans were not so lucky. sophomore Allen Yu was shut out by his opponent 6-0 in the first and second sets.

Prior to yesterday’s match, the Spartans had been working hard to improve everything about their game and expected to win. They took on the Indians from St. Charles West and came out victorious for the first time this season.

Nanney, leading the team, ended his matches 6-1 and 6-1.

“We needed this win; it boosted the confidence of the team ,” said Nanney.

Despite their win, the Spartans will still be practicing every day after school.

“We really need to improve our consistency,” said Nanney. “The beginners need to learn to hit back more frequently and read where the ball is going.”

The Spartans will be looking for their next win when they take on the Jaguars from Fort Zumwalt West on Monday.