An unrealistic anatomy

Erica Swanson reviews Daria Snadowsky’s Anatomy of a Single Girl.

Erica Swanson, Staff Reporter

Almost the opposite of what the title suggests, most of the book is an unrealistic, moochy story of an insecure college freshman who cannot think of or live life without a boy on her side. More than six months after her first breakup, she still holds a bag of items from her ex and is constantly thinking about how she can live a life with a boyfriend again. Yet, paradoxically, boys seem to be thrown at her footsteps– from her friend Calvin that she claims is “perfect,” but she could never love, to this attractive boy she meets coming home for college in the summer that she decides she only likes physically. Dominique never seems to be happy until the end, when she finally learns that being single is okay.

One of the most disjointed aspects of the piece is the way the dialogue and actions of Dominique and her friends seem to be from girls of different ages. The drama and the way the characters talk make the piece seem like it is meant for middle school girls. Although the drama is funny at times, the actions and dialogue of the characters do not match. Dominique and her friends lack maturity in their dialogue, always gossiping and moping, to the point where at times, it makes readers believe that Dominique is a preteen instead of a pre-med.

And then the actions bring confusion as sex is slapped onto the pages in a much too descriptive way conflicting with Dominique’s lack of maturity in dialogue. This seems to be the only piece that makes Dominique act her age, and quite frankly, this part of the book is boring and degrading. No one really cares how Dominique “does it” with Guy, and the book puts way too much of an emphasis on their sex lives. It makes Dominique almost view Guy as simply a sex toy, and at one point in the piece, she only wants to see him for that. Personally, I believe there are much better ways to describe a romantic relationship than just sex.

The cover itself draws readers in, but the words on the pages make readers want to just shut the book. The inconsistencies make the book boring and not appealing to readers. Yet, the book does include some powerful themes for teens– to get over a relationship you must move past and forgive. Being single is okay—you always have your friends, and it opens up many opportunities. Live in the moment—but the way it is developed is way over the top that at times make it hysterical, while at other times simply boring and unrealistic.