Freshman joins varsity hockey team

From a team that won State, to a team with a record of 9-10, the ice hockey team may not be enjoying the success of last year, but they have underclassmen players creating notice.

Freshman Graham Nave, a goaltender, has won the last two games for the Spartans. The games against Howell and Fort Zumwalt West were his first. He was nervous, but Coach Tom Mueller assured him that he was able to keep up.

“He’s a big strong kid that plays strong in the net and is not intimidated by the bigger stronger players at the varsity level,” Coach Mueller said. “He’s a very personable and friendly young man which allowed him to be accepted by his teammates.”

Nave is the only freshman on the team, but the team’s other goaltender, senior Austin Eckert, believes he is a good addition to the team.

“We lost a lot of key players, and I can’t make it to every game,” senior goaltender Austin Eckert said. “At least we have Graham.”

Not only does Nave feel accepted, but he also enjoys the team and the playing environment.

“It is really fun being a part of the varsity team,” Nave said. “It’s really fast paced, high energy, and I feel like I belong.”

The team’s next game is tonight against Duchesne.