Hockey moves on to Wickenhieser cup

From a championship season to an up and down one, Coach Tom Mueller does not know what next season will hold. Although the team did not make it to the Challenge Cup playoffs, Coach Mueller is looking forward to playing in the Wickenhieser Cup.

“Winning the Wickenhieser Cup will be a great accomplishment for the team, so our focus is on that task,” Coach Mueller said. “I’m sure the team will give a great effort in finishing this season strong and building confidence for the future.”

After its championship season, the team lost many key seniors, and this year, 10 seniors will be graduating, according to Mueller.

“Losing players like Brendan Martek and Blake Sneed on defense and Brandon Olson and Mike Thomas on offense will be hard,” Coach Mueller said. “The hard work and leadership that we’ve gotten from Lou Braun will also be missed.”

Although the seniors who were leading the team are now leaving, Coach Mueller believes the underclassmen will easily fill the roles.

“I’ve had the opportunity to use several young players through out the season and I have no doubt they will step up and fill those roles,” Coach Mueller said.

Before the Wickenhieser Cup, the record for the hockey team is 11- 9 -1.