Letter to underclassmen

May 9, 2016

Dear Underclassmen,

Time flies whenever you are having fun, and time has flown by. These past four years have shaped me as a person and will do the same to you. I don’t want this to sound like a cliche, but high school can be the best or the worst years of your life all depending on you. The way you make it through high school, the best way to possibly make it out as the best you, is to find a group of people that accept you for you. Find those few friends that will be there for you through thick and thin, they are the ones who are worth the emojis in the contact name. There is so much to say about high school and everything that is bad and good about it. But the main thing to worry about is surviving high school, and the only way to do that is find the people you know you can count on. I know it sounds like I’m only saying you will only be good if you are with friends, but the fact is you won’t know who you are unless you surround yourself with people who love and support you. I have had a revolving door of friends all four years I have been here, but in my senior year I have finally found those few friends that help me be me. Being yourself no matter how  people perceive you or how they act towards you is the thing that always needs to be put first. You should always be your number one priority not school work, not friends, not your boyfriend or girlfriend, but you, you should put yourself first no matter how shallow it sounds. An assignment is bumming you out and you just can’t handle it, push it off for a little while, go into your teacher’s room in the morning and ask for help. Your friend is being pushy to go out, and you don’t feel up to it, take a raincheck tell them it isn’t a good night to go out. If they ask what is wrong then you know that is one of the true friends. If your significant other makes it seem like you aren’t going out enough but you think the two of you are going out on a decent pace then tell them. Make sure you are your number one priority. No one, I mean no one should make you feel like you don’t do enough for them or you are too self centered. You are you be sure to embrace it and everything that you stand for, no matter how selfish or arrogant you appear. To the juniors, your senior year is right around the corner and make it the best year of high school, it is probably the one you will want to remember. To the sophomores, I know many of you will be taking your first AP classes next year, but don’t be intimidated by them, they are just like any other class you take. You do your work and it all pays off. And finally, to the freshmen, High school goes by way too fast to enjoy its full experience before you know it you will be walking across the stage at graduation and finishing your high school career. I think what I’m trying to say is high school goes by fast way too fast for us to realize. These are some of the most important times of our life. Take time to enjoy them.