Boys cross country works on big improvements

The boys cross country team has had a good start to their season, but according to junior Jake Plevnic, more work can be done.

“We have been successful so far, but there is always room for improvement in every aspect of our race,” Plevnic said. Sophomore Jake Drnec agreed, but also said he believes the team is improving.

“So far this season overall as a team we’ve been doing great, and while the first couple meets didn’t go as expected, we’ve been getting the hang of it, and finding our strengths and weaknesses as individuals and as a team,” Drnec said. Drnec just recently was added to the varsity squad for cross country, and he says he is excited for the opportunity to perform at a higher level than before.

According to Plevnic, there are certain aspects of cross country that he looks to improve on, besides lowering his time.

“I try to improve my running form,” Plevnic said. “It has a major effect on your speed and stamina during the race.”

Drnec also looks to improve during cross country, but not just with running.

“One thing I always look on improving is getting closer to my teammates,” Drnec said.

“I run cross country because of them, and to me, they are like my second family,” he added. The cross country team’s next meet is this Friday at Koch Park.