• The girls basketball team will have a tryout meeting on Thursday, Oct. 12 at 2:30 p.m. in Coach Leake's room. Anyone wanting to be on the team should attend.

• This week's Real World Wednesday will focus on car maintenance. Come to the library on Oct. 11 during Seminar.

• Arete pillar forms are due on Friday, Oct. 13. Forms can be found just inside the entrance and should be submitted to Room 2.

Swim team forms life-long friendships

s the season has progressed many swimmers feel the connections they’ve made on the team will last a lifetime

Alura Berry

Alura Berry

Jennifer Ferry, Staff Reporter

It’s no wonder many sport teams here at FHC find themselves forming strong friendships, between long practices, meets, and hanging out outside the court athletes can spend as much as fifteen hours a week together. This is especially true for the boys swim team who not only practices and competes together but also makes it a point to just hang out together.

“We hang out about three times a month” junior Grant Boehr said. “We eat dinner and play video games. I think we’ve all become really close and we all enjoys just hanging out.”   

Sophomore Danny Tubman believes that being closer as a team is an advantage not only in meets but also in welcoming underclassmen to the world of high school sports because “it helps the freshman get used to being on the team [and it’s] just easier to recognize each other and our strengths and weaknesses.”

Tubman also believes that spending time with his teammates has enabled the team to overcome some of the obstacles they faced last year.

“Last year there were a lot of conflicts,” Tubman said. “[There are] not as many this year.”

Sophomore Owen Crowe agrees with Tubman that a big reason the team is doing so well this year is because of the trust they’ve established with each other.  

“There’s a lot of camaraderie and cheering. It’s just a lot of fun,” Crowe said.

Whether it’s the heavy practice schedule or the frequent team bonding night there isn’t any doubt the team is stronger this year than ever before. This year. the team beat huge rivals like Francis Howell and Chaminade, broke a school record and ranked ninth in the state in the 200 meter freestyle relay, ranked eighth in the state for the 400 meter freestyle relay, in addition to sending two relay teams and two individual events to state.

“There’s a lot of camaraderie and cheering. It’s just a lot of fun,””

— Owen Crowe

If you are interested in cheering on the team their next meet will be Wednesday at the Recplex at 8:30 pm against Fort Zumwalt South. For more information included below is a link to the full game schedule.  http://fhsdfhc.sharpschool.net/UserFiles/Servers/Server_999228/File/Sports/Fall%202017/Boys%20Swim3.pdf