Honoring Veterans

Breakfast is served

Kana Chung, Staff Reporter

On the morning of Friday, November 10, many spartans gathered in the learning commons to share the most important meal of the day with those who served our country.

Hosted by Epsilon Beta, this event gave students and faculty the opportunity to show their appreciation for veterans by providing them with breakfast.

The America we live in today is a country with many rights and liberties that are not available elsewhere. The freedoms we have are only made possible because of those who have served. Living in a nation built from war and rebellion, it makes sense that we take a day to appreciate their service.

First of all, I think it’s a very difficult job to go serve our country, and it’s insanely brave.

— Elizabeth Skelly

When asked why they thought it was important to honor veterans, students had a lot to say. Member of Epsilon Beta and senior, Elizabeth Skelly, commended their bravery.

“First of all, I think it’s a very difficult job; to go serve our country, and it’s insanely brave. I think it’s something that we should be proud of: that people are willing to fight for our country. I think we need to honor those people because not everybody can do it, and not everyone is willing to do it, so those who are, should be looked up to.”

Skelly’s views are shared by many students including Senior and member of the choir, Samantha Shanley.

“I feel very strongly about this, actually. They’re willing to risk their lives for millions of people. That is probably the most honorable thing you could do. The fact that they are putting their lives on the line for our safety is the biggest thing that they could do.”

With these thoughts in mind, the students and faculty were determined to produce a great event for veterans. Skelly provides details of the preparations and execution.

“Well, [Epsilon Beta] pretty much put on the whole event, we got the food for them, invited [all of the veterans] to come, decorated, and then we got the band to come in, and we got the choir to come in. And then, from there, during the actual event we just manned the tables and made sure everybody was having a good time, and got them anything they may need.”

As mentioned by Skelly, the Jazz Ensemble performed that morning for the veterans. Being a member, Senior Joseph Black was also asked about the events of the breakfast, and he provided some insight on the music selection.

“We picked songs around the area that we thought [the veterans] would be most attached to, so we played some stuff from the 70s, but it was mostly jazz from the 70s,” said Black

According to Skelly, the choir also selected songs that would have significance to the veterans.

“actually, they offered to sing for us. They sang taps, and they sang the national anthem,” said Skelly

Shanley confirmed these beliefs and elaborated on some of the song selection. Giving the reasons behind them.

“Taps is a song that is usually played at Veterans’ funerals without words, but we chose to sing it at the breakfast.”

Not only do students respect veterans, but many have family members who have served. This makes the matter close to the hearts of many, and makes it easier to understand the motives behind honoring veterans. Skelly, Black, and Shanley are all part of that majority.

“My grandfather on my father’s side was in the marines,” said Black.

“I do [have , my grandma was in the Air Force, my uncle was also in the Air Force, and then I’ve had multiple grandparents that have served,” Skelly stated.

“My grandfather, my dad’s dad, was in the Vietnam war,” said Shanley

So no matter how hectic, stressful, or dissatisfactory our lives may seem, we have yet to see the true horror of war. That being said, we owe it to our veterans to take a portion of our time to show respect. It could affect someone close to you.