A teacher’s pride and dedication

Mr. Dauve has been dedicated to teaching at FHC for 20 years.

Olivia Hritzkowin

Mr. Scott Dauve teaches the anatomy classes. He’s been teaching here and impacting students since the school opened.

It was August of 1997 at approximately 5:45 a.m., Francis Howell Central was empty besides a few custodians. Scott Dauve sat at his desk ready for his first day of teaching. Little did he know he would be sitting behind a teacher’s desk for the next 21 years.

He has been a teacher, coworker, and most importantly, a friend to hundreds of individuals at Central. He has seen the school, community, and students grow over the past two decades and this year he says goodbye to it all.

Mr. Dauve has taught many subjects including Earth Science, Chemistry, Biology, Human Biology, Anatomy and Physiology and a research class. He currently teaches all six hours of Honors Anatomy and Physiology. He has also been involved in the school’s boys basketball program and has coached on all three levels. For the past nine years, he has been the head coach for the freshman boys team. Whoever takes his position will have big shoes to fill.

Mr. Dauve takes pride in his position as a teacher and feels that he has been able to make a difference in the majority of his students.

“The best part of the job is when light bulbs go off, when you guys laugh, when you tell me that you’ve been accepted, or you tell me you’ve gotten a scholarship … you know, that’s what makes the job great, I like making a difference in the world,” Mr. Dauve said.

The best part of the job is when light bulbs go off, when you guys laugh, when you tell me that you’ve been accepted, or you tell me you’ve gotten a scholarship … you know, that’s what makes the job great, I like making a difference in the world

— Mr. Scott Dauve

Although he has made many great years full of unforgettable experiences, he has decided to retire after this year.

“I honestly want to leave when I’m on top. I’m leaving loving my job. I’m leaving still good at my job,” said Dauve.

Not only did Mr. Dauve influence FHC, but the Spartan family also molded him into the person he is today.

“When you stop learning, you die. I’ve learned compassion, when I first started I was very straight-laced and rigid — don’t smile — all that kind of stuff. You know, you mellow with age, you mellow with marriage, you mellow with children, so I have learned a lot from my students,” Mr. Dauve said.

While Mr. Dauve has undeniably loved his job the past 21 years, he had not planned to be a teacher forever. He has many aspirations and plans following his retirement.

“I’ve got a lot of other passions I’ve always had to put on the back burner because of my career, so I look forward to learning a second language, I look forward to learning how to play the guitar, I look forward to doing much more reading than I am right now. I feel that I’ve done all I can do here,” Mr. Dauve said.

Mr. Dauve is grateful for the place he works at and emphasizes the hardships and happiness that both come with being a teacher, especially at a place where everyone is a family.

“This job is one of the hardest jobs, but it is also one of the best jobs. It is like a roller coaster, one minute you’re devastated because some student committed suicide, or is in drug rehab, or they didn’t get that scholarship and they won’t be able to go to the school they wanted, those are tough times but there is a lot more positive times,” Mr. Dauve said.

Senior Cameryn Miller believes Mr. Dauve is able to create unique relationships with students in a way other teachers may not.

“He talks to me like someone who isn’t just there to do their job and get paid. Even if it’s just a fist bump and a “do good kid” It makes you feel like more than just another student,” Miller said.

Miller also emphasizes how his charismatic personality plays into her overall learning experience.

“He relates to his students and always finds ways to put some kind of humor into lessons. It really makes the students want to pay attention and come to class. I enjoy it because even during things that are hard to pay attention to, you still want to listen because you never know when he’ll randomly say something funny or do something weird,” Miller said.

Senior London Rodgers had Mr. Dauve her junior year and is still inspired by his warm personality and teaching.

“Dauve personally impacted me because he always found a reason to make me laugh, or smile no matter how stressful my day was … he’s a very accepting and caring person,” Rodgers said.

Rodgers and Miller believe Mr. Dauve will be hard to replace due to his constant involvement over the years.

“I think it will be pretty hard to find anyone that has as much knowledge in anatomy as Dauve, I’m sure someone could, but no one could replace the impact he’s had on the school & in people’s lives here,” Rodgers said.

It is always difficult to replace a great teacher, and Miller strongly emphasizes the importance of his relationships on top of his great education.

“It’ll be extremely hard to find someone to live up to him. He’s built a relationship with so many students and that’s a hard thing to replace,” Miller said.

Junior Jordan Hayden, a current student and former freshman basketball player, believes Mr. Dauve’s infectious personality extends onto the court as well.

“The relationship I had was very close. Always looked to me for input as well as some other players. Always believed in what I could do and pulled out things out of me that I never thought I could do as a player and teammate. Personally, he’s impacted me like another parent. He always pushes me to be the best I am whether I’m on the court, in his class room or even as an individual outside of school,” Hayden said.

Although he may be gone next year, he will always be around due to the fact he will be marrying math teacher Dena Rulo.

“Yes, I’ll be back, and I’ll probably attend sports events and anything Mrs. Dauve will need me for,” Mr. Mr. Dauve said.