Outdated and underappreciated

Whitney Klein

More stories from Whitney Klein

Voter decisions discouraging the next generation of community leaders

The current generation of taxpayers never ceases to appall me with their selfish choices. Another crushing event has proven that people care more about money than education; the education of those who will soon be in charge of this country. Proposition Learn, the 48-cent tax levy on the April 3 ballot, has failed, by 500 votes; 49% no and 51% yes.

The money from Prop. Learn was supposed to go towards bettering and updating the level of education the Francis Howell schools can offer their students, but any chance of that has been thrown in the bin by the voters of St. Charles.

I thought there was no way that this levy would fail. After the first few attempts, Prop Y and Prop Howell, failed, I thought this one was sure to go through. After each proposed levy failed, the amount dropped lower and lower. The asking amount was half of what was needed to bring the schools back to where they need to be, yet it was still too much for the homeowners within our district.

I had already been annoyed by the “Vote no on Prop. Learn, 10% tax increase” signs that appeared next to every vote yes sign, but now, I’m livid. It feels as though this was our last chance at fixing the district. We’ll just continue falling deeper and deeper into debt. Maybe, on the next ballot, we’ll propose an amount that just barely keeps us afloat, but we’ll be crushed again. Because any tax rate is too much for those who make decisions in our school district.

The price of education keeps rising. Our district is drowning in debt. Our technology is outdated and slow. I, personally, have spent many class periods trying different computers or iPads because none of them work properly or load. As technology grows, there are new forms of learning being developed which our district is deprived due to the absence of funds. Some students don’t learn the same as other students. Our technology helps provide students with different methods in hopes they understand better. Our technology gives students access to things they might not have at home.

When will education become important again? When will the minds of children become important again? I don’t think people understand how they’re affecting us. See the money updates the computers which we need to do our assignments, the money goes to teachers to buy supplies for our classrooms, the money goes towards smaller class sizes which means more one on one time between teachers and students so that students can ask their questions and fully understand what they’re learning. It was supposed to do all those things to enhance the quality of education students are teaching, something that, at this rate, is most likely not ever going to be possible.

We need something to change. We need students to be more important than money. Don’t let greed guide your decisions; a message I wish I could scream to the entire country. I implore you, open your eyes and see the effects of your actions. I speak for myself and my classmates when I say we deserve better than what we’re receiving. It is events like this that discourage today’s youth.

Failure doesn’t mean game over, it means try again with experience. With the next, and hopefully last, proposed levy, we need to get our message out there, our voice. We need to show the voters in St. Charles the repercussions of their decisions. Be the lobbyists we hear about in government! Voice your issues; take to the streets: fliers, posters, (peaceful) protests, do what you know and take to the social medias: Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, anything. Make your plight known and tell them why our school district needs funding to be successful. We are the leaders of the future, but no one ever defines what that means. It means taking charge and making a difference for the causes you believe in. Why not start within your own community, your own school? Set off the change we need to receive the education we deserve.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Outdated and underappreciated”

1. Sonja Valter on April 9th, 2018 6:23 pm

Fourteen states and Washington DC allow counties and cities to impose their own local income taxes in addition to federal and state income tax. Missouri is one of these states and STL and Kansas City both utilize the payroll local tax deductions.. Ohio residents pay a mandatory school district tax through payroll deduction. Is that an option to go through the city or county to impose a local tax on all residents?

[Reply]

2. Chuck Dale-Derks on April 13th, 2018 5:18 pm

Thank you for the article, Whitney Klein. I would guess that about 90 percent of voters do not do their due diligence before going to the polls. It will take a marketing effort to pass an operating levy. Maybe it will pass when you have kids in the district, but don’t get started on that too soon!

[Reply]

3. anonymous on April 15th, 2018 11:56 pm

This is extremely biased and unproffesional.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Outdated and underappreciated

Baseball

Pitching progress

• Outdated and underappreciated

Showcase

Insta-worthy Prom

• Outdated and underappreciated

2017-18

Basketball beast

• Outdated and underappreciated

Editorials

Dear “Prop Learn” voters

• Outdated and underappreciated

Feature

Protests for peace

• Outdated and underappreciated

Feature

Pointed in the right direction

• Outdated and underappreciated

Editorials

Becoming normal

• Outdated and underappreciated

Blogs

Putting yourself first

• Outdated and underappreciated

Feature

Inspirational Adeyemi

• Outdated and underappreciated

Events

Mr. FHC raises funds

Outdated and underappreciated